Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cat Spider a.k.a Araneus gemmoides


While Griffin and I were taking a nature walk around the house we came across this spider. This is known as a cat faced spider, known to the scientific world as Araneus gemmoides. <----Just in case you are ever asked the scientific name of a cat faced spider, now you will know *wink*

I am sure we have all come across one of these spiders, as they are very common during this time of year, but I had to share my photo. And I wanted to let everyone know I got up real close and I was going into a cold sweat just trying to get the perfect picture. I don't like spiders especially big ones!

I am glad I got a close up because now I can take the time to examine all of its features. Why do spiders always have hairy legs, of course there a few that don't daddy long legs, but most spiders have hairy legs...why is this? Perhaps I will learn one day until then enjoy your blurfing!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have too at our back entrance and they just creep me out and since we have to park behind the house we always use the back door. And I am so amazed that you could get that close because there is no way I would even get half as close as you did!

Anonymous said...

SICK......