Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sleep Deprivation

This past weekend Joe, LJ, Griffin, and I went on a trip to the cannery. We brought the truck and trailer and canned food for our ward with two other sisters.

LJ and Joe canned food the first night and the next morning, then Joe, my mom and I canned in the afternoon.

It was fun canning and getting to see my mom. However, Griffin did not sleep at all. Well he slept from 9pm-1:30am and then he was up. Since we were in a hotel I couldn't just let him cry. I tried rocking him, putting him in bed with me, walking around outside, warm milk, singing...everything I could think of. He just wouldn't go to sleep. So I was 2/3 asleep and 1/3 awake for the whole trip.

I walked all over the hotel in my pineapple bottom pjs and ratty old college t-shirt. The night manager felt bad for me but what was he going to do...he was busy checking people in and out and dealing with the drunk drag queens. The drag queens actually looked like women but then again it was 2:30 am and I was running so low on sleep of course they looked good. When I saw them the next morning in their full fledged man suits I thought I was dreaming because I could have sworn they were women. I only recognized them by the wigs they were so carefully carrying out to their car. They were at least friendly and did provide me with some entertainment.

Griffin and I enjoyed talking about the moon and the stars. We even watched Fox news. I still haven't figured out why he didn't sleep but I did learn I am not going on any more trips with him until I figure out how to solve the sleep problem.

It is now two days post trip and I think I am caught up on sleep. Now I've got laundry, food shopping, and unpacking to do. Oh and I've got to find my swim suit bottoms. I saw them before the trip and thought I packed them but they weren't in my suitcase...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! Where were you vacationing? And I totally understand the whole sleep deprivation on trips. Toby wakes up wide eyed and bushy tailed ready to play at 3 am. He won't sleep in a portacrib, but also won't sleep inbetween us. Todd and I have to take turns waking up to sing primary songs...it's our only hope. Our vacations will be slowing down in the near future anyhow, but we still have two more to go so we will see. (PS, we are coming into town sept 30-Oct 6 we should arrange a play date.